HP3000-L Archives

March 1999, Week 4

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 14:08:10 EST
Joe Geiser writes:

> Wirt Atmar said,
>
>  > Warnings of Computer Virus Issued
>  >
>  > PITTSBURGH (March 28) - A new computer virus can allow
>  > documents to be e-
>  > mailed to other people without warning, a potential security
>  > breach that
>  > should worry businesses and governments, an expert at Carnegie Mellon
>  > University said Saturday.
>
>  Because it came from CERT as an Advisory, it should not be construed as a
>  hoax...

No, I never construed it as a hoax. However, because "real" hoaxes are always
portrayed in such dire terms, I thought it would be more interesting to
present this one a little more genially.

I now think that was a mistake, thus please allow me to rephrase my original
note, using a more somber and realistic tone, appropriate to the situation:

     WARNING: WORLD-WIDE COMPUTER MELTDOWN EXPECTED
     MONDAY AFTERNOON!!! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!

Wirt Atmar