HP3000-L Archives

March 1999, Week 4

From:
Ken Paul <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 16:21:28 -0700
On Tue, 23 Mar 1999 15:47:20 +0100, Hans-Ole Kaae <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>I was wondering if anyone on this list has been exposed to this - which
>looks like a bug in the Dynamic Detail eXpansion facility:
>
>Suddenly, the application goes down with an error, indicating that the
>detail set is full.
>
>This detail set is enabled for DDX.
>
>If you run DBUtil, issuing a SHOW <base> CAPACITY, this nasty little message
>shows up:
>

>                   No. of    %Max --------------- Capacity ----------------Dyn
>Data Set Name Type Entries    Cap Maximum    Current    Initial   IncrementExp
>                                                       (Hashing)
>
><setname>        D 235268     13  1800000    252000     180000    18000     YES
>  Dynamic capacity expansion in progress flag is on.
>

>Normally we grab DBGeneral  - and change the capacity and the error is gone.
>Since this involves a backup of the base first - this is not very popular
>with the users ;-)
>
>HP Support have been working on the case for some time; but no
>solutions/explanations so far...
>
>MPE/iX is 5.5 and the TurboIMAGE Overall VUF is: HP30391C.07.14 TurboIMAGE/XL

I would be curious to see a LISTF,2 and a LISTF,3 of this dataset.

While doing research on DDX in 1996, I found certain cases which would cause
a DATASET FULL message when the dataset was not full.  If TurboIMAGE has any
problems doing an expansion then it may return this message.  The fact that
DBUTIL shows the 'progress flag' ON tells me that TurboIMAGE was not able to
do a complete expansion.  In the past, the first person to open this dataset
would detect this flag being on and TurboIMAGE would try to correct this
condition.  (it was this routine which caused the DDX bug of Fall 1997).
Since you are on one of the latest versions of TurboIMAGE I am not sure why
you are seeing this problem but two possibilities come to mind:

1)  The dataset has been placed explicitly on a given drive and there is no
more room on the drive and the expansion fails.

2)  The dataset has been built with DISC=#######,1,1 and a file in this
state can not be extended because you can not add any more extents to the file.

Both of these are very wild guesses on my part but based on the information
in the message, this is all I can think of.

I would not trust the entry count reported by DBUTIL and would recommend a
diagnostic be run on the dataset as soon as possible.

As I said before, a LISTF,2 and a LISTF,3 may or may not shed more light on
the problem.

Hope this helps,

|            r  |  Ken                             [log in to unmask]
|          e    |                           http://www.adager.com
|        g      |  Ken Paul                      Tel 208 726-9100
|      a        |  Customer Support              Fax 208 726-2822
|    d          |  Adager Corporation
|  A            |  Sun Valley, Idaho 83353-3000            U.S.A.