HP3000-L Archives

March 1999, Week 4

From:
Denys Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 15:53:44 -0600
X-no-Archive:yes
The problem with these ultra-low-cost machines is that they are really not
upgradable.  Yes, you can add a NIC, memory and even a disc drive, but do
not try to put in a real graphics card or a sound card or some of the other
stuff.

The cost is kept very low because all the components are built onto the
motherboard.  Since the mobos have all the required components, adding a
new one is either impossible or will lead to problems.  The first of the
really cheap machines was in fact a Compaq Presario built around the Cyrix
GX chip.  This enabled Compaq to ship out a box with integrated monitor for
less than a grand.  This was about 18 months ago.

Do not worry about the Compaq and HPs of this world, they will find a way
to compete.

Do not worry for Intel either.  They brought out the Celery processor last
year and have beefed it up some this year, so that it is now a worthwhile
processor.  Meanwhile, they are also bringing out the Xeon in Pentium III
flavor at 550MHz, and should reach the GigaHertz by 2000-2001.  These
processors are going into servers and higher end desktops and workstations.
 At first it seemed like they were going to abandon the low-end of the
market to the likes of AMD, Cyrix, Winchip and others but as I said, they
did come out with the Celery to compete at the bottom end.

What the price cut has done is enable many who would not consider buying a
computer to actually get into the computer and Internet craze and for this
these companies should be lauded (cursed?).  I would venture to say that
shortly HP, Compaq and others will be at that price point.

Within 12 months, your bank will give you a computer when you open a
checking account.

Sine note: I am a confessed laptop aficionado.  You do not want to know how
much I paid for my current 166MHz laptop, which is now 18 months old.  I am
considering upgrading it at some point, but I am holding out for
Coppermine, slated to come out at the end of the year.  Can you say 600MHz
on the laptop, for less than what I paid for this one?

Kind regards,

Denys. . .

Denys Beauchemin
HICOMP America, Inc.
(800) 323-8863  (281) 288-7438         Fax: (281) 355-6879
denys at hicomp.com                             www.hicomp.com