HP3000-L Archives

March 1999, Week 4

From:
"Gary L. Biggs" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gary L. Biggs
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 13:25:50 -0600
SCSI defines storage blocks and hide all of the sector, head, etc from the
host. We used to have to specify this stuff in the PC environment only because
of limitations of the BIOS and the various OS that were in use.

You need not worry....

At 01:53 PM 3/24/99 -0500, Ron Miller wrote:
>I have been told that the ST19171N drive works on the HP 3000.  I am aware
>that uncompleted writes may not get written in the event of  power outage,
>but on a test system, I do not really care.  After Y2K testing the drive
>will be moved to a PC environment.  We have a HP 3000 918 LX.
>
>The question is:  A vendor did not have the ST19171N drive, but guaranteed
>that the new ST39173N drive was exactly the same.  It was late in the day
>and I wanted to get it shipped ASAP, so I told them to go ahead and ship
>it.
>
>Checking Seagate's web site and the specs on the drives, I see that the
>number of cylinders, tracks, and sectors are different between the 2
>drives.  Is there a chance the ST39173N drive would work on the HP 3000
>because the cylinder, track, and sector addressing are handled internally
>by the drive itself?
>
>Or does the MPE I/O system know specific things like number of cylinders,
>tracks, and sectors for each supported drive, and therefore it would not
>work?
>
>I understand that some Quantum drives are supposed to work on the HP 3000
>also.  Is there a list of which models of Seagate and Quantum drives can be
>used on the HP 3000, and corresponding configuration information for them?
>
>Or, maybe this topic is taboo now, due to HP's recent crackdown.  What if
>the drives are added into an external cabinet and connected to the external
>SCSI connector of the HP 3000.  Is that legal?
>
>TIA for any help.
>
>The return email address has been souped up to prevent getting on spam
>lists.  The username is really rmiller and the domain name is openplus.com.
>
>Ron Miller
>OpenPlus

Gary L. Biggs, N5TTO
Interex SIG Allbase Chair

"Abandon all hope, Ye who Inter(net) here" --
Dante, over the portal(router) to Hell