HP3000-L Archives

March 1999, Week 4

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 10:03:57 -0800
David asks:
> 1)      NMSTACK:        If I run a program with an NMSTACK size specified on
> the RUN command, and the NMSTACK size I specify is vastly overstated, could
> this have any detrimental effect on system performance.

A quick test (on 5.5) shows no apparent affect.  This differs
from when I tested some years ago.  In the old days (3.0 ??),
about 1/30 of your NMSTACK was getting allocated as transient
storage on disk when your process started ... hence, the stack
size was important.  At one customer site, we adjusted
the stack size of a popular program (a hundred or so users in it
at the same time) down to a smaller amount, and gained about 400 MB
free space back.

You can test yourself:

On terminal 1:
   :run program;nmstack=  (small#)

Then, on terminal 2 (while still in program on terminal 1):
   :discfree "e,,mpexl_system_volume_set"
   Note the amount of free space available (or transient space in use)

Then, on terminal 1:
   (exit program)
   :run program;nmstack= (big #)

Then, on terminal 2 (while still in program on terminal 1):
   :discfree "e,,mpexl_system_volume_set"
   Note the amount of free space available (or transient space in use)

Compare amounts...did they change?

SS