HP3000-L Archives

March 1999, Week 4

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 20:14:52 -0500
"Simonsen, Larry" wrote:

> The 64 -> 68 upgrade had memory bundled in the upgrade.  We
> purchased the upgrade w/o the memory and the software tape was
> delayed.  Since the upgrade shipped with only a name plate change
> we did this upgrade without having to take the system down.

Just to keep this historically accurate (IMHO), Sherman, set the
way-back machine for 1980-something.  [bzzzt, hummm, whirrlll]...

You find yourself the system manager of a Series III, a 40, a 44,
and a 64, all running MPE-IV.  MPE-V is just around the corner and
you're looking for upgrade information.  You learn that:

* the Series II and III have been deferred upgrades to a forthcoming
  MPE V/R promised Real Soon Now [and it was really Much Later   Still].

* The other "software updates" were dependent upon "hardware
  upgrades" to the series 42, 48, and 68 respectively.  If you
  didn't want to upgrade, then no software update [or did they
  have MPE-V/R for the 40/44/64 later?  I digress...]

* The new MPE-V and upgrade was to include disc cacheing, expanded
  memory, and firmware upgrades to support extended CST tables; so
  if you had adequate memory, there was an option to delete it from
  the update/upgrade.

* Production/testing of the new firmware was delayed so HP provided
  an option to defer the firmware part as well, giving birth to the
  two tracks of MPE-V/P (disc cache only) and MPE-V/E (disc cache
  plus extended CST).

* You order your MPE-V/P update/upgrade, and get a box, and call
  your CE to perform the upgrade.  He opens the box to discover
  the MPE-V/P tape and a new label for your front panel.

It was at this point that I first became disgruntled with HP, marketing
in particular, as now I had a box of expensive vaporware that should
have been a simple OS update.

There is no "specific" distinction between the original 40-42, 44-48,
and 64-68 transition other than software.  You could be running the
upgraded model number with or without the new firmware.

Later the firmware was installed, and required by some new software
(NS/3000 in particular over a LANIC).  Some time later faster processor
boards were introduced, and the final classic upgrade step of 42-52,
48-58, and 68-70 came about, and the classics became a frozen
architecture.

To add a bit more fuel to the fire, the 40/42/52 and 44/48/58 were
similar "guts" just a bigger backplane/power supply/etc in the latter
series.

I'm going on second hand information about the 64-68-70 series as I
never had my hands on one of them, but as for the rest, it's first hand
experience (albeit tinged with a bit of senility :-) ).

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>