HP3000-L Archives

March 1999, Week 2

From:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 17:07:24 +0100
Ted wrote a while ago (in his good "RCS in a nutshell")...

>For rcsdiff I usually say
>:rcsdiff "-c /PROG/SOURCE/MYSRC"
>though sometimes I'll say
>:rcsdiff "-c -r3.2 /PROG/SOURCE/MYSRC"
>or
>:rcsdiff "-c -r3.2 -r3.3 /PROG/SOURCE/MYSRC"
>
>The -c gives a "context-diff" format listing of the differences.  Diff on MPE
>doesn't yet have the -p option or I'd use that instead.

After some offline chat we thought it might be worth to mention that
there are basically two flavours of diff available on the 3000: the
FOS flavour that comes as /bin/diff (and will probably also be the one
used by rcsdiff), and the GNU flavour that comes as /usr/local/bin/diff
if you elect to install the GNU cvs package from Jazz or Freeware Tape.

They do have slightly different options. For example the -u format that
seems to be commonly used in the freeware world, is not available with
/bin/diff but is available with /usr/local/bin/diff.

Both flavours also have their companion /bin/patch or /usr/local/bin/patch
utility that can be used to (more or less) automatically apply such diff
output to an existing file to merge changes between versions into another
set of (similar) source files.

Hmmm. More than you probably wanted to know ;-)

Lars.

PS: Nice GNU cvs tutorial is at http://java.apache.org/main/documents.html