HP3000-L Archives

March 1999, Week 2

From:
Jeff Vance <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Vance <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 09:34:57 -0800
> The account and groups have unlimited connect time. A job logs on to the 3K
> and will go into a loop because of a non-existent Warehouse location. The
> jobstream continues to ask for a valid location, but by then it's already
> on to a different prompt, not location code.  Last Friday, the job produced
> a 101,000,000+ $STDLIST before I caught it...

Another possibility is to modify the job as follows:

!job ....
!# make sure we don't try more than N times (or X CPU seconds) to get
!# the warehouse info
!setvar numtries 0
!setvar need_date TRUE
!setvar startcpu HPCPUSECS
!while need_data and setvar(numtries,numtries+1) <= SOME_LIMIT and &
!      HPCPUSECS-startcpu <= SOME_OTHER_LIMIT do
!   # try to get warehouse data
!   ...
!   if got_the_warehouse_data then
!       setvar need_date FALSE
!   endif
!   ...
!endwhile
!if need_data then
!   # we didn't get the warehouse data needed below
!   echo Some message
!   tellop Some message
!   eoj
!endif