HP3000-L Archives

March 1999, Week 2

From:
"steve.weber" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
steve.weber
Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 21:04:04 GMT
Leonard Berkowitz wrote in message ...

snip

>Someone (HP?) told someone here that one of our performance problems is the
>single-threaded nature of the Image SIR in that it can handle only one
DBOPEN
>system-wide at a time. Since much of our applications are written so that
options
>from the menus open data bases and close them, we are encountering a lot of
>contention.
>
>Can someone please sort out for me this information? Did we hear it right?

snip

HP confirmed for me that DBOPENS are single-threaded.  I'm not a programmer,
so my explanation may be distorted, but we had an Order Entry app that
called a "Notes module" for every order line entered.  This module did a
DBOPEN every time.  When we hit our busy season, this bottleneck became
immediately apparent.  We found it (with HP's help) using SPT collector and
analyzer.  It was a 5 minute fix, but definitely illustrated the single
threaded nature of DBOPENS.

Steve Weber