HP3000-L Archives

March 1999, Week 2

From:
Chris Bartram <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 15:10:37 -0500
 In <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] writes:

> Has anyone installed 2 network cards on an HP3000 ?

Yup.

> If so, can I disable ftp, vtmgr etc on the 2nd card to secure it.  As
> you can guess, this will be the card exposed to the world.

Don't think so. You can restrict access to inetd-controlled services by their
source address, but if I recall correctly, most network calls on the 3000
can't tell which network interface a connection request came in on (other
than guessing based on knowledge of which network addresses are reachable
from where).

I believe the best you can do:

-Control inetd-controlled services with the inetdsec file (restrict connect-
 ions to 'known' source addresses)

-Implement option-logon UDC checks that verify the incoming (source) address
 of any logon (easily done using the CI Vars already set by MPE)

or put a good firewall between your 3000 and the "world".

  -Chris (remove nospam) Bartram