HP3000-L Archives

March 1999, Week 2

Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 16:10:09 GMT
On Thu, 11 Mar 1999 11:31:31 -0600, "Brad Feazell"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I give more weight to the idea of faster, more advanced versions of the
>PA-RISC architecture than IA-64 on the HP3000. It wouldn't surprise me if we
>never see an HP3000 based on IA-64 and I'm not so sure that would be a bad
>thing.

According to other HP presentations, the IA-64 (EPIC) architecture has
more "headroom" than PA-RISC. Eventually IA-64 will outperform PA-RISC
due to basic limitations that are being reached with PA-RISC ...
although probably not for the Merced or perhaps the McKinley releases
of IA-64.

According to one of the project managers HP's VLSI division (who
design the PA-RISC chips) design is already under way for the PA-8600
and PA-8700. Plans are being made for the PA-8900, but no design or
resource allocation has occurred for it.

---

Mark Landin                   "For anyone who was never good at
T. D. Williamson, Inc.         anything, technology has been a
UNIX Sys. Admin                real boon" --- my mom