HP3000-L Archives

March 1999, Week 1

From:
Jeffrey Kubler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeffrey Kubler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 1999 07:23:11 PST
jeff,
I hadn't noticed anyone commenting on one issue related to your question
which is a potential performance issue.  That is the issue of the
multiple transaction managers you get when you use private volumes.  In
very I/O intensive apps the posting of the single transaction manager
can be a big hit (which I understand there may be some ability to
control the priority of this process added by HP in the future).  With
private volumes you get an additional XM process for each one which can
help spread out the impact.
Jeff Kubler
Kubler Consulting
541-745-7457 www.proaxis.com/~jrkubler
>Sender:       HP-3000 Systems Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
>From:         Jeff Mikolai <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      Private Volumes and Performance Issues
>To:           [log in to unmask]
>
>I am having a discussion about private volumes and performance issues.
I have a relatively large account with 3 large databases. At one point
in time, these three databases have been split across 3 private volumes.
Now they all reside on one private volume. According to HP back when we
did this, they said this would not be a performance issue. Could someone
enlighten me on this issue a bit.