HP3000-L Archives

March 1999, Week 1

Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 15:48:08 -0800
Brad Feazell asks:

>Can someone enlighten me as to the breadth of functionality of the GNU C
>compiler on MPE/iX? I'm assuming that it doesn't handle Image and MPE
>intrinsics but I hope I'm wrong since it's free and I could try some things
>without justifying the HP compiler.

What do you mean by "handle"? If you're asking can gcc/g++ be used with
TurboIMAGE and call MPE intrinsics, yes, it can. If you're asking whether
or not gcc/g++ directly knows about the parameters and their types when
calling intrinsics (e.g. #pragma intrinsic), no, it doesn't.

It takes a little bit more work to call things using long pointers, but I
can provide a header file called longpointer.h that will support this. You
will probably also need to invest in the Lund toolkit to get the CSEQ tool
if you plan to do heavy work involving intrinsics. This will determine the
parameters and types of those parameters for any published intrinsic in the
sysintr file. This includes the "hidden" parms that some intrinsics use.