HP3000-L Archives

March 1999, Week 1

From:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 21:03:08 -0800
joe writes:
> The annual SIGIMAGE Enhancement ballot is now online.

Cool.

> We maintain it for 20 minutes of inactivity,
> therefore, we are asking that when you complete your ballot, please do not
> allow 20 minutes to go by with no inactivity, or variables will be released,
> as will your connection.

Is it possible to increase this?  I can easily see it taking more than 20
minutes to read all the items and allocate one's votes.  I'd hate to go to
all that trouble and have to start all over if it took more than 20 minutes.

Sorry to be a whiner, but I have a couple more comments :-)

I note that I seem to be allowed to place as many negative votes as I like
as long as the net value of all my votes is less than 11.  This seems silly.
It I *really* like one item, I can vote -9 on a whole bunch of other ones,
thus allowing me to vote +99 on the one that I like (it seems to only allow
two characters in the fields, so a -10 vote isn't allowed in any case).

Also, the "primary reason" field has a default of "Performance".  I suggest
that many people will be lazy and accept the "suggestion", rendering these
data statistically less than useful.  Perhaps the default for this could
be changed to "Other"?

G.