UTCSTAFF Archives

March 1999

UTCSTAFF@RAVEN.UTC.EDU

From:
Richard Rice <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Rice <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 11:44:29 -0500
>Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 07:54:06
>To: Raven
>From: Richard Rice <cecasun.utc.edu>
>Subject: UTK Faculty Resolution Text
>
>If you have not been able to look at the text of the UTK faculty
resolution, I include it below.  Please bring a copy and your ideas with you
if you plan to attend the meeting on Friday, March 30, starting at 2:00 in
the Raccoon Mountain Room. Remember, the purpose of this meeting is to come
up with our own affirmative statement to counter the Trustees action last
June 18th. We, like Knoxville, can say whatever we want because this is not
an implementation plan, but a statement of principle.

>Jim Hiestand suggested the analogy of the platform of a political party,
and I like that. While such statements of intent and principle often are
modified in reality (in our case the actual implementation plan), they are
nonetheless useful as guidelines (as in the case of UTK)for the latter. We
will only get what we are willing to accept.

>Here is another "Addition" clause for us to consider, which will be number 5:
>
>5.  Administration of the "termination" of under-performing faculty shall
not in any case be done by the establishment of a quota system.

>RATIONALE:  Although we are assured that there are "few" faculty who need
actually worry about the modification of the former tenure system (does
anyone know how many last year received unsatisfactory ratings?), there may
be a tendency in the future to establish an annual quota to prove to the
Trustees that their mandate is working. Especially in financial hard years
to come, there will be pressure on administration to cut labor costs by
terminating tenured faculty who seem vulnerable. If this seems unlikely,
reflect on the current quota for "exceptional merit." It is 20% each year,
not 18% or 22%. Does this make sense? What if you excel in a year when a lot
of others do the same? I am not making an argument against seeking out and
rewarding merit, since this is not Lake Wobegon where we are all above
average, but I think you see my point.