SCUBA-SE Archives

March 1999

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 22:30:30 -0500
Barry Collins wrote:

> It would really help jumpstart this list if we knew a little more
> about the subscribers.  How 'bout sounding off with your place of
> residence, diving interests and experience, etc.

OK...

I'm Jeff Kell from Chattanooga TN.  I was certified OW & AOW in
1993, Nitrox in 1995; I have around 175 logged dives and who knows
how many "who cares" quarry dips, Aquarium duty, and other minor
soakings.  Locally there isn't much other than the Tennessee river and
it's almost immediately downstream from the Chickamauga Dam so the
currents and vis and commercial barge traffic don't make it a very
attractive dive.  Next distance out is Blue Water (a.k.a. the Blue Hole)
in Pelham AL, some-unknown-named quarry in Athens TN, and a handful of
other quarries within a day trip.  My next step up is the Florida
panhandle, I dive Panama City and Destin often, and have done Morrison,
Cypress, and Ginnie springs as well.  The top step of the ladder is
further still, Cozumel, which I love when I can get a chance, the time,
and the money.

I've also dived (at least once) Myrtle Beach, Tampa, Sarasota, Ft
Lauderdale, and Grand Bahama.  The farther south the better, but I hate
the long drive!  The panhandle is about 6-7 hours drive which is about
as much as my and my non-diving wife can tolerate in one stretch.

My favorite SE destination is Seagrove Beach, halfway between Panama
City and Destin.  No local diving, but 30 mins or less to either Destin
or PCB.

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>