HP3000-L Archives

February 1999, Week 4

From:
Chris Bartram <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 15:09:19 -0500

No. Step by step instructions are in the FAQ at www.3k.com.

>  How about a Serial printer connected to a network print server
> (Window 95/NT network)?  Do you need to install SAMBA/iX todo this?

I had one quick shot at this with no luck.

1) Since the MPE spooler doesn't "know" about Samba/windows printers, you have
to have your own process/job pick spoolfiles/reports and "send" them to a
shared printer using smbclient.

2) Once you send these files, you hit a line-terminator problem (at least I
did). Simple text spool files print like this:

line1
     line2startshere
                    line3starts here and goes ooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnn

(once end of line is hit no more lines show up)

Obviously the printer was only getting LF (linefeed) characters and not the
CR (carriage return) character it needed to move the "carriage" back to
column 1.

Now I haven't had time to play with it, but Lars did suggest applying a script
to the files (to change the line-terminators) before sending them. This sounds
workable (haven't had a chance to try it yet), though you do get back to #1
above where you'll have to have your own scripts/process that picks up
spoolfiles for you. [We've had some luck executing MPE scripts to do things
like that with ESPUL from RAC]. Good luck.

            -Chris Bartram