HP3000-L Archives

February 1999, Week 4

From:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 23:07:05 -0500
I can report that this HP-UX software will happily and successfully take the
system down and back up and down and up, etc., given a real powerfail or if
it just "thinks" there is a powerfail, but it doesn't seem to cause any harm
(except slightly to system availability)... It also seems given to reporting
a powerfail and that the power comes back, when nothing else in the computer
room complains at all (NT, Netware, MPE, various routers, PCs, and whatever
else Jeff K has hidden away in the steam tunnel).:-)

However, the HP UPS does *not* like transient spikes in the power coming in.
I've seen the circuit breaker blow on these and you just can't turn it back
on then, even though the power is back, until you realize that it is the
circuit breaker that needs to be reset.  The whole staff at my previous
employer was mystified by this until I showed them what it was - actually,
they thought that just the console terminal had died, but that is another
story.

Richard

--
Richard Gambrell
Database Administrator and Consultant to Computing Services