HP3000-L Archives

February 1999, Week 4

From:
"Stigers, Greg [And]" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stigers, Greg [And]
Date:
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 14:45:09 -0500
X-no-Archive:yes
COBOL. My first COBOL program was on my first job read a (variable record
length) pipe delimited file, and wrote a fixed record length file,
UNSTRINGing from the original record to the target record. My second and
third programs went the other way, STRINGing together the same. I had
well-defined specs. Although this is a capital offense in some shops, I
found that not shuttling the records into and out of working storage made
for a considerable increase in efficiency.

The only 'gotcha' was the discovery that a value that couldn't possibly be
negative, the quantity of an inventory transfer, almost always was. Turns
out that in the wild, transfers between stores were keyed by receiving
store, as a negative quantity. So long as you can get specs from the
originating platform and be clear on how this is being used, COBOL should
serve you well.
All progress, all success, springs from thinking - [log in to unmask]