HP3000-L Archives

February 1999, Week 4

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 15:28:24 EST
Steve Robertson writes:

> I just acquired a HP3000 series 42 running MPE/V. Unfortunately, I don't
>  any documentation for the OS.
>
>  Does anyone have any documents (they would be willing to part with) or a
>  know where I might find some.

Obtaining a complete, original documentation set for the Series 42 will be
difficult. There is a fair amount of paper involved in the set, broken into
about 20 binders.

However, one of the truly glorious things about working on a "legacy" system
is the feature set of the machine hasn't changed much over the last 25 years.
The basics still apply to the newest system as they do the oldest, thus you
can use the web-based manuals for MPE/iX 5.0 as a quite reasonable basis for
your 42.

If something doesn't work as advertised in these manuals, just presume that it
is a feature that has been added since the changeover to MPE/iX. Moreover,
very little has been subtracted from MPE/V (and even when it has, a new MPE/iX
function was added to replace the MPE/V version).

Precise documentation for the 42 command set will be found on your 42 by
simply typing HELP. Between on-line help and the web-based manuals, you should
be in hog heaven.

Wirt Atmar