HP3000-L Archives

February 1999, Week 4

From:
Cortlandt Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cortlandt Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 11:15:51 -0800
Gentlemen,

A couple of thoughts on NT & MPE/iX

Upwards compatibility:  I run a number of applications under NT that are not
certified for it.   Upwards compatibility Win-95 to NT has not been a
problem for me except for games.   Games play fast and loose and even try to
take over the OS.  NT has internal checks that disallow some things that
games try to do.

Hardware compatibility:  The fact that Win runs on zillions of combinations
of hardware from dozens, even hundreds, of different manufacturers is a
minor miracle.   NT users are advised to buy hardware more like you would
buy hardware for your HP 3000.

For over a decade I have heard the advise to standardize PC hardware.   That
advise got about as much attention as Y2k warnings.   We have made our own
bed /dug our own grave, now we have to lie in it.

NT vs. Win 95:  In my opinion serious business users should use NT,  not
Win95/98 and definitely not Win 3.x.    To do otherwise is to invite
trouble.

Some of our problems with MS are quite real.  Some are self-inflicted.
Denys' message, for instance, reminds me that  the last time I backed-up my
PC was about 6 weeks ago . . .   I'll be interested to see what my comp copy
of HiBack will do for me.

Cortlandt Wilson
Cortlandt Software
www.cortsoft.com  (MANMAN 3rd party  Resources site)