HP3000-L Archives

February 1999, Week 4

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 10:26:36 -0800
Paul writes:
> Uh, hate to mention this, but HP 925's, 935's and 949's came
> out before SCSI was available and therefore the operating system
> does not permit you to boot from a SCSI device.
> The ONLY boot devices on these machines are HPIB devices in the case of
> tape drives or HPFL in the case of disc drives.

Originally true, but there's been a firmware revision that enables
boot-from-SCSI.   Unfortunately, the cost of the firmware (the last
time I looked, about 3 years ago) was quite high...it was cheaper
(and easier!) to buy a used 9x7 than to get the firmware!

I have an HP 9000/845 (same hardware as 949) here that boots from
SCSI...works fine, as long as you don't try to use a boot disk
larger than 4 GB.

--
Stan Sieler                                          [log in to unmask]
                                     http://www.allegro.com/sieler.html