HP3000-L Archives

February 1999, Week 4

From:
Denys Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 11:19:02 -0600
X-no-Archive:yes
Jim underlines my point about the advantages of having a fleet of similar
machines, be they HP 3000, NT Servers or desktops.  I have upgraded lots of
machines from NT 3.51 to 4.0 and never found this to be an issue.  I have
also upgraded lots of MPE machines, through MPEII to MPE-V/P, all MPE/XL
and subsequently MPE/iX releases and for the most part these upgrades were
not an issue.  It just makes it even easier when the systems are all the
same.  (I do remember UB-MITs, the U-be-sorry-MITs.)

But all this conversation about migration got me to think about something
else.  It is my understanding that the final challenges for Windows 2000 is
enabling an easy migration path from Windows 3.x and Windows 9x.  When I
look back at the challenges and obstacles encountered with the original
Windows 95, they were mainly dealing with the migration from 3.x.  The
systems that shipped with Windows 95, and later Windows 95 OSR2 and
subsequently Windows 98, never really encountered anywhere near the
problems that the upgraders encountered.  Most of the support effort was
spent on the upgrades.  I also know that a lot of development effort went
into making this migration as smooth as possible.  Anything to avoid a
reload.  But a reload was the best approach as those who started from
scratch had a lot less problems.

I can't help but think that HP might have to contemplate doing an
on-machine migration (OMM) to go from 32 bit OS to 64 bit OS.  It is
conceivable this might be a significant challenge where lots of resources
will be expended.  The challenge will be less than the one Microsoft faced
in the past and faces in the future by virtue of the fact HP tightly
controls the hardware and the drivers.  But if, (and I am just guessing
here, I have not been told anything about this,)  it came down to HP having
to make the following decision:  do we force a reload to go to 64 bit or do
we expend considerable effort enabling an OMM, I would lean towards the
reload.  If a migration is indeed required but an OMM is a small effort,
then I have raised a non-issue.

What does Alfredo, the originator of this thread, think about this?

Kind regards,

Denys. . .

Denys Beauchemin
HICOMP America, Inc.
(800) 323-8863  (281) 288-7438         Fax: (281) 355-6879
denys at hicomp.com                             www.hicomp.com