HP3000-L Archives

February 1999, Week 2

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 11:55:35 -0800
Michael Smith (aka [log in to unmask], so he doesn't get this reply directly) writes:

> happens when the program in question is not the one being run but is
> actually being CREATEd by the program we are running?
> I think that the processes being CREATEd will use it's own internal limits
> (specified at :LINK time) or if none are specified it will use the system
> limits (configured in :SYSGEN).  But if that is true, it would mean in order
> to change the limits on a program meant to run as a child, you would have to
> do an :LINKEDIT ALTPROG.  This would also mean that you couldn't have
> different versions of the program running with different limits.  It just
> doesn't sound right, but maybe that's what is happening.

It's mostly right...you overlooked that the CREATEPROCESS intrinsic
allows you to specify a value for NMSTACK and/or NMHEAP.  If you do that,
it overrides the values (if any) in the program file and the system
default values.

Note:
   IIRC, the CREATEPROCESS documentation fails to note that the
   values for items 26 and 27 (NMSTACK and NMHEAP) are the *adddresses*
   of the values, not the actual values.  And, for CM calls, they're
   "word" addresses, not byte addresses.

--
Stan Sieler                                          [log in to unmask]
                                     http://www.allegro.com/sieler.html