HP3000-L Archives

February 1999, Week 2

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 15:44:03 EST
Claire Pope asks:

> So far we have only put HP printers into npconfig.  However, we have someone
> who is determined to use their apple laserwriter.  So we have set it up in
> Novell and given it an ip address.  We have put the ip address into
npconfig..
> .but it just isn't communicating.  Any ideas?

It is my strong impression that HP say early on that network printing will
only work with HP JetDirect cards (either internal or external). Taking them
at their word, I never even tried to hook our Apple LaserWriters up to our
TCP/IP-based LAN. Rather, I purchased several external HP JetDirect cards and
put them in between our LaserWriters and the LAN (they connect using a
standard parallel port cable). They were relatively easy to set up -- and I
couldn't be happier with them.

I've put a schematic of our LAN up on our website (including the external
JetDirect cards), if you wish to look at it. The URL is:

     http://aics-research.com/qc/schema.html

The URL for the JetDirect cards is:

     http://www.hp.com/net_printing/jetdirect/externalcards.html

We're using the HP JetDirect EX Plus print servers.

Wirt Atmar