HP3000-L Archives

February 1999, Week 2

From:
Sletten Kenneth W <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sletten Kenneth W <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 14:15:50 -0800
Donna did the agenda thing for SIGSYSMAN.....:

> ok, folks -- here are the topics i'm currently planning on
> discussing during sig sysman.

[.... SNIP some good topics ....]

> - disc mirroring on the system volume

:-)   we keep asking...  and Winston & Co keep saying no....
just remember that the early '80's incarnation of SIGIMAGE
was rebuffed for years when they kept asking for CIUPDATE;
that didn't finally get implemented until a decade later....  we
live in hope that someday.....  if nothing else, maybe on IA-64.

> - 'shutdown' script (sysstart's brother/sister/twin/cousin  ....

I vaguely recall that Stan was the first one to suggest a CI
SHUTDOWN command... Let the record show we could have
used it this morning:  After major work on our computer room
air conditioning system last summer, we *thought* it was in
good shape now...   BZZZST !!!..  A/C totally failed at ~02:00;
the UPS that powers our 959 did an overtemp shutdown at
~02:40, right in the middle of our nightly backup.   :-((

If we had a SHUTDOWN command and monitored the UPS
for overtemp and low battery signals in a background job, we
could avoid such potentially ugly power interruptions...  lucky
for us we have a 3000, and at least this time there were no
apparent bad effects, other than not completing one backup
cycle....

Since mirroring the <long_name> is pretty clearly not a short-
term prospect, I put most of my SIGSYSMAN votes (if I have
any) on being able to do a SHUTDOWN command from the CI...

Ken Sletten