HP3000-L Archives

February 1999, Week 1

From:
Bruce Toback <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Toback <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 09:21:56 -0700
Ron Seybold writes:

> With all the turmoil in the Internet market, no single supplier of
>a Web solution could be counted upon to maintain code through an
>acquisition. Netscape, being acquired by AOL, certainly wasn't immune to
>being taken over. Open Source products, like Samba, eliminate this
>potential for disruption.

It's certainly turning out to be a delightful irony that open source
products are gaining market share because they're perceived as more
likely to be there for the long haul than fee-for-license products from
major manufacturers. In the Alice-in-Wonderland world of corporate
management, IT staff have long been asked to justify perfectly reasonable
decisions in terms of management's looking-glass views (viz., the Gartner
Group thread).

Are we going to have ready answers for when management comes to us and
says, "why are you paying for proprietary software from a company with an
uncertain future when we could just as well have had free software with a
near-certain future?" It's been so long since we've been asked questions
based on rational assumptions that we may have forgotten how to answer
them.

"I'll give you $10 for that doggie in the window."

"No deal. The price is $5, and I won't take a penny more."

Kind of puts you off your stride.

-- Bruce

Bruce Toback    Tel: (602) 996-8601| My candle burns at both ends;
OPT, Inc.            (800) 858-4507| It will not last the night;
11801 N. Tatum Blvd. Ste. 142      | But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends -
Phoenix AZ 85028                   | It gives a lovely light.
btoback AT optc.com                |     -- Edna St. Vincent Millay
Mail sent to [log in to unmask] will be inspected for a
fee of US$250. Mailing to said address constitutes agreement to
pay, including collection costs.