HP3000-L Archives

February 1999, Week 1

From:
Joe Geiser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Geiser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 10:41:21 -0500
Brad Feazell said on Tuesday, February 02, 1999 9:29 AM (-0500):

<Birket's post snipped>

> That was an easy mistake to make. It was a foregone
> conclusion in those days
> that OS2 would be quickly and widely adopted.

Yes it was -- remember that OS/2 was originally written by who?  Microsoft!
IBM took it over when IBM and Microsoft divorced.

OS/2 was not bad either... the problem back then was that IBM still had
"mainframe-centric" folks running the store, and the focus was not on
OS/2... Microsoft took the bull by the horns and came up with Windows NT.
Marketing is what made NT dominant, and OS/2 a "has been".  I'm sure that if
IBM focused on how OS/2 could interoperate with its own platforms, and
convinced the developers to write the code to allow it to interoperate with
other platforms (as Microsoft did), it could have been a contender and even
a major player today.

OS/2 though, is dominant in a few large IBM shops now - and even they are
looking at NT seriously to replace OS/2.

J.