HP3000-L Archives

February 1999, Week 1

From:
Joe Geiser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Geiser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 06:41:30 -0500
Chris Bartram asks/postulates:

> <sarcasm on>
> Geee HP. After waiting 3+ years for an SSL solution for the
> 3000, and never
> getting one, I *wonder* why 3000 sites are using SSL servers on other
> platforms... ?!?!? :-(

Rest of sarcasm snipped...

Like the song "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover" - there are 50 ways to get data
from the 3000 to a web server, and out to the client.

Much of this will be discussed at IPROF (it will be a major discussion,
starting with a "state of the product" by OnOn Hong).  Apache has been out
for some time - but SSL has always aluded the 3000-based port without
licensing additional products (which costs $$$).

Of course, we've gotten great results using NT/IIS with various App Server
tools such as ASP and Cold Fusion.  (Actually, we've gotten response times
so great, even through a firewall, it astounded us), and NT *has* SSL built
in... all one needs is to purchase a key to go with it (about
US$450/corporate server use).

There are a lot of things that go into this decision, but I personally
applaud HP for selecting Apache.  It does two things:

1.  It places the HP3000 in the mainstream of web-servers with the most-used
web server today.

2.  It places the most robust web-server on the HP3000 today, with more
capabilities than some of its competitors.

As for those who shy away from HFS (and the majority of users, not
necessarily here though) do, there's QWEBS from QSS.  Not SSL compliant yet
- but definately there in terms of using the MPE filespace, and goes back to
4.0

So - We have a LOT to discuss.  The agenda will be put out later today.

Also, "Web Enabling Legacy Applications" at IPROF (Saturday afternoon) will
show you how you can web-enable your applications, both for Ineternal and
External use.  We'll do one live, over the internet, by editing it locally,
then publishing it to a server which is over 3000 miles away (across the
country in BSEPA), and then using it against an HP3000 there.  We'll also
get into Apache as well, running on another HP3000 out there.

Of course, if we run out of time, a series of "continuing conversations" and
tutorials can be going on using the SIGWEB-L listserv ([log in to unmask]) -
and continued in San Francisco at HPWorld.

SSL, the latest Web App tools - are all within the grasp of either
completely running on the HP3000, or using the HP3000 in an inoperability
role (serving and handling data) - it would be of good use to attend these
sessions, if attending IPROF.

(Oh yeah, I hear the internet connection is high-speed and dedicated - no
phone line needed, so we should blaze right through :)

Questions can be posed to [log in to unmask]

Best Regards
Joe Geiser
Co-Chair, SIGWeb