HP3000-L Archives

February 1999, Week 1

From:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 10:18:54 -0800
Wirt writes after me:
> >  If you are not seeing DC1 characters, then either the 3000 is not sending
> >  them, or your termulator is eating them.
>
> However, Gavin is not correct in this assertion. To the best of my
> knowledge, there is no way to suppress the transmission of DC1
> characters on the HP3000 - nor would you ever want to.

The DC1 is what is known as the "read trigger character".  It is an
attribute of the "termtype" currently in effect for a logical device
which is either physically or logically a "terminal" due to having a
terminal Type Manager bound to it.

You can programmatically change the read trigger character to just about
any character you like, so it is certainly possible to have a 3000 that
is not sending DC1 characters.

In MPE/V at least, some termtypes, most noticeably 18 (the "generic"
terminal type) did not use the read trigger character.  If you look
at TT18.PUB.SYS using TTUTIL, you will see that it is configured to
use NUL (i.e. no read trigger character) even today.

For whatever reason, logging on with ;TERM=18 does *not* suppress the
DC1 character on MPE/iX.  I think this has been the case since day one,
and I'm not sure if it is possible to configure a terminal so that it
respects the TTUTIL configuration.  I don't know why this is the case.

G.