HP3000-L Archives

February 1999, Week 1

From:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 1999 11:38:31 -0800
Joe wrote:
> Sounds to me like this ISP has the same problem that some others do - they
> drop DC1 when the client is using NS/VT.  Unfortunately, they think that
> they can do flow control better than the bloody hardware.

Sorry to keep harping on this, and once again with all due respect...

I believe I can safely say that no ISP on earth dynamically edits data
inside of data packets.  No ISP on earth is capable of influencing whether
DC1 characters get to your client or not.  The DC1 characters are not
part of TCP/IP flow control.  IP is 100% transparent to the data flowing
through it.  Once the 3000 puts the DC1 character into the IP packet, no
entity will look at it until it arrives in the terminal emulator's VT
protocol module on the client.

If you are not seeing DC1 characters, then either the 3000 is not sending
them, or your termulator is eating them.

Assuming you are talking VT or telnet protocol over a network (not serial)
connection at each end, your ISP can have nothing to do with the problem.

G.