HP3000-L Archives

February 1999, Week 1

From:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 22:51:29 -0500
Steve P wrote:

> Hello all, I'm looking for information on how to get started using the
> HFS feature of MPE.  I see it mentioned throughout all the help files,
> but haven't found a basic introduction to it's use.
> The 8 character filename limit is getting old.

A simple answer, if you want to use the shell (sh), is any beginner's Unix
book.:-)

If you really do want HFS files from good ole MPE CI, the just use them
anywhere you would use a ./thisisafilename anywhere you would use a 8char
name, but remember a few things:

1. 16char limit in a MPE group.  YOu can NEWDIR to get new directories and
inside a directory you can use a much longer name.

2. case sensitive names.  All ./names are case sensitive.  A traditional MPE
filename of "myfile" is ./MYFILE in HFS.

3. Use listfile instead of listf.  I use a command file that turns listfile
into just a lf.

4. Watch out for utilities and programs that won't use the HFS file name
(like editor/3000, but qedit works great).

YOu can use help on any of the new HFS commands (like NEWDIR or CHDIR).

HTH,
Richard
--
Richard Gambrell
Database Administrator and Consultant to Computing Services