HP3000-L Archives

February 1999, Week 1

From:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 20:13:13 -0500
Gavin Scott wrote:
> If your DC1s are getting lost when you switch to a VT connection, it
> may be the fault of the 3000 VTSERVER or telnet software, or the termtype
> you are using, or the VT protocol software / terminal emulator on your
> PC, but it is *not* your "LAN" that is eating the characters.
>
> G.

Maybe not, but I've seen a NIC (or it's drivers) eat bits (or seem to) of
characters. We had a PC that would print to network printers (several
different ones) with some characters messed up (replaced with random looking
characters in the same font and style), but it printed just fine on a locally
attached printer.  It did not matter what application was used to do the
printing.  Our help desk rebuilt the fonts and printer drivers to no avail.
Finally they replaced the NIC and that solved the problem.

--
Richard Gambrell
Database Administrator and Consultant to Computing Services