HP3000-L Archives

January 1999, Week 5

From:
"F. Alfredo Rego" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
F. Alfredo Rego
Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 12:06:08 -0700
Michel Gauthier <[log in to unmask]> wrote in a transportation mood:

>... As an exemple, planes and trains are both useful to carry people or
>merchandise. However, you do not drive a plane (neither start, nor maintain)
>the same way you do with a train. Most of our performance problem with
>Oracle were due to programming data access as if data was stored in an Image
>DB.
>I don't want people here thinking that I'm sold out to Oracle. I learned
>Image 10 years ago, I was impressed about its simplicity and I still think
>its a good DBMS. But I also think Oracle is a good RDBMS too. Think about
>planes and trains...

Well written.  Michel's comments inspired yet another comment having to do
with economics (limitless desires versus limited resources).

Some people (like the President of the U.S.) can have their own Boeing 747
and some people (most people, in fact) can't afford such a luxury, even
though they would LOVE to have it :-)

A Boeing 747 is not a bad thing to have.  But, for most of us, having one
would drive us (no pun intended) into bankruptcy.

There is no absolute "good" and there is no absolute "bad".  The issue is
"What is good FOR YOU, given your budget and your objectives?"

(The question "what is good FOR YOUR SUPPLIERS?" is another question
altogether, of course :-)

 _______________
|            r  |  Alfredo                     mailto:[log in to unmask]
|          e    |                                  http://www.adager.com
|        g      |  F. Alfredo Rego                       +1 208 726-9100
|      a        |  Manager, R & D Labs               Fax +1 208 726-2822
|    d          |  Adager Corporation
|  A            |  Sun Valley, Idaho 83353-3000                   U.S.A.