HP3000-L Archives

January 1999, Week 5

From:
Jeff Woods <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Woods <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 12:39:39 -0600
At 1/29/99 12:42 PM -0500, Ron Miller wrote:
>Anyway, I am wanting to perform the update this weekend and am wondering if
>I can use the DAT tapes that came with the update, or if they have the
>HPSUSAN number in a file on them and will not work, in which case I will
>need to have new tapes made.

The HPSUSAN and corresponding keyword (which as you suspect are tied together)
are only used to unlock the software on the CD.  Unless this has changed on 6.0
(which I strongly doubt) MPE updates on tapes are not secured by the HPSUSAN.
I have used the same DDS media many times to update multiple machines which all
have the same set of HP products on them.

>The update contains only a SLT tape and a FOS tape, no SUBSYS tape.

I am very suspicious that you have *something* that should require a SUBSYS
tape.  Even Image/SQL came on the SUBSYS tape. (That's true at least as of
5.5...  I suppose it's possible that significant changes in what is on the FOS
vs. SUBSYS tapes has taken place for 6.0, but I'd be surprised.)
--
Jeff Woods
[log in to unmask]  [PGP key available here via finger]