HP3000-L Archives

January 1999, Week 4

From:
John Korb <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Korb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 09:25:45 -0500
<FREEWARE PLUG>
I use the Windows 95 version of EMACS, which is free and downloadable from

   http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/voelker/ntemacs.html

Back in the mid '80s I started using a copy of microEMACS for the HP 150
that an HP Lab person gave me, and I still use it today.

I have Samba/iX running, so with the Windows 95 version of EMACS I just
edit the source files on the 3000 via Samba.  The source files do have to
be bytestream files, so for some compilers you have to have to run the
frombyte utility before compiling.  The compile UDC we had set up for use
with bytestream files (which are kept in a separate group from the regular
variable length record source files) runs frombyte to create the regular
variable length record file in the standard source group, then invokes the
compiler (the groups are BSOURCE for the bytestream files, and SOURCE for
the variable length record source files).  Thus, the process is really:

   1) EMACS opens the bytestream source file (in the BSOURCE group) via a
      Samba/iX share.
   2) After editing, EMACS saves the source back to the bytestream file.
   3) A special UDC uses the frombyte utility to copy the bytestream source
      file in the BSOURCE group to a variable length record source file of
      the same name but in the SOURCE group, then compiles the variable
      length record source file (from the SOURCE group).

This process has at times been a blessing, as it means that there is an
automatic backup file on-line.  If someone accidentally deletes needed
lines from or otherwise damages the bytestream source file during editing,
they can use a "revert" UDC that runs tobyte to create a bytestream copy of
the variable length source file, replacing the damaged bytestream source file.

One of the things I like about EMACS is that it is programmable through
EMACS LISP, and there are a lot of EMACS users who have set up useful LISP
files.

Another thing I like is that it can recognize different file types by file
extension and treat the source you are editing differently depending upon
the file extension.  There are LISP files for making C, Java, HTML, and
many other languages easier to edit, and which catch problems like
unmatched parens, { and } in C, and IF and ENDIF pairs during editing (one
of these days I'll become proficient enough in LISP to code the same
features but for SPLash! source).

The only downside I've found with EMACS is that since it is so easily
tailored to individual tastes, formatting habits, key mappings, etc., no
two people have the same EMACS initialization file, and no two people use
EMACS in exactly the same way.

But, if you want a FREE, powererful editor that runs on many platforms, try
EMACS.
</FREEWARE PLUG>

Oh, and I do use EDITOR.PUB.SYS from time-to-time.

John

At 1/22/99 08:32 AM , David Burney wrote:
>Hello all.  Happy Friday !
>
>I'm curious as to which type of editors Atmarians, et al, are using to develop
>software on thier 3000's.  I was weened on QUAD, have tried NQUAD, and am
>currently becoming familiar with EFS (R2.V02 circa 1983.)  Are there any
other,
>freeware or not, editors out there that are worthy of mention ?
>
>Thank you.
>
>David

>David Burney                       Summit Racing Equipment
>[log in to unmask]              330.630.0270  x. 221
>                                       ------
>"It's a sign of the times when your spell checker
>doesn't flag profanity."   -DB
>                                       ------
>  All opinions expressed herein are my own and reflect,
>               in no way, those of my employer.

John Korb                            email: [log in to unmask]
Innovative Software Solutions, Inc.

The thoughts, comments, and opinions expressed herein are mine
and do not reflect those of my employer(s), or anyone else.