HP3000-L Archives

January 1999, Week 4

From:
Joe Geiser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Geiser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jan 1999 23:20:07 -0500
Jim Trudeau, after Richard and Wirt...

> Richard Gambrell pretty much covered it and I agree - in
> spades.  If your going to jump the 3000 ship
> to Unix/Oracle bring $$$$.  Might start up a Valium budget too.

I'll kick in some 1 mg Xanax tablets to supplement any Valium that Jim kicks
in <g>.  A good beta-blocker to keep the blood pressure in check might also
be a good idea <gg>.

OK - in all seriousness... Image/SQL today, provides virtually everything
one needs from a database that is rich, robust, scalable, and has a proven
track record that surpasses anything out there today, including Oracle, DB2,
MS SQL Server, Sybase, Informix, etc.

I would also agree with Wirt (although I know and understood that Richard
never suggested that it would be a good idea) that dynamic insertion of a
column (field) is bad!  I know for a fact that Adager can do this today,
with accuracy and speed that surpasses other RDMSes, as can DBGeneral.

I've seen too many Oracle messes on the HP3000.  I've seen more than a few
people who need to demand that their companies increase their earned
vacation time to compensate for the demands of database administration.  I'm
always proud to say that administration of an Image/SQL database is a
breeze, compared to others that are out there, and I include SQL-Server in
this as well (even with it's slick GUI-based administration).

Cheers,
Joe