HP3000-L Archives

January 1999, Week 4

From:
"Eric H. Sand" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric H. Sand
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 17:36:38 -0600

    I second John's remarks using EMACS, perhaps the most feature laden
editor I can think of(although I have used QEDIT extensively in JCL files
for parsing generated text and will use nothing else if I have a choice).
    We use EMACS for our Pascal source situated on a windows server and when
changes are complete we execute a lisp command file that builds the related
compile job(s) courtesy of the make facility, invokes the Reflection file
transfer
process(source and JCL) and atuomatically streams the assembled compile
job(s)
on the HP3000. Using the make facility insures that any INCLUDEs that are
modified and referenced in mulitple sources generate the necessary
recompiles.
    EMACS, as John mentioned, allows almost any kind of edit to be
super-imposed
on the text, from outlining comments in the source with color to
sophisticated
positioning of language text as it is typed in. The string search is very
powerfull.
    We also use Ghostscript(Freeware), an interpreter for the PostScript
language in
conjunction with EMACS.
    Well, now that you got me started...

                             Good luck............Eric Sand