HP3000-L Archives

January 1999, Week 4

From:
Lane Rollins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lane Rollins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 15:37:30 -0800
>>One more silly question while we're on this subject. Are there any tricks to
>>get frombyte to generate a file other then 80 characters wide? I need
>>something like 286 characters wide fixed record file.
>
> What's silly about the question? I'd probably try a FILE equation, hoping
> that frombyte uses FOPEN or HPFOPEN for the MPE filename and either picks
> up the file equation by default or if a * prefix is used...
>
> Lars (haven't tried it, though)

It builds the file to the correct size, but it slices and dices the lines
into 80 character chunks.

One method I've figured out is to use one of the Ginsu knives of the 3000
world, QEDIT. Text the data in from the posix side, set length xxx, set keep
ascii on, set keep var off, and keep to MPE side.

My guess is that suprtool would work..

-Lane