HP3000-L Archives

January 1999, Week 4

From:
Richard D Ingham <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard D Ingham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 21:29:46 -0800
RON HORNER wrote in message ...
+AHw-Does anyone have a job stream that dials out from a HP3000 and moves a
+AHw-file to a IBM, using NRJE (RJE).  I have a need to do this and I'm not
+AHw-sure about doing the dial up part.
+AHw-
+AHw-Thanks+ACE-

My understanding is NRJE only runs over SNA.  Both are configured through
NMMGR.  Then you SNACONTOL START the SNA node, wait a few moments, then
NRJECONTROL START your workstation ID.  Even though you can often do these
back to back, you can generate some monster stack dumps in the NRJE job if
SNA hasn't finished initializing before you start NRJE.

RJE does simple direct dial up without having to set up nodes and
workstations.  They are very different implementations.

We still use RJE to communicate with VAN's (Value Added Network providers
like GEIS and Advantis).  We are using NRJE with U.S. Customs.

I don't remember the details about RJE myself, but if you need some hints on
NRJE, I'd be happy to share what I know.