HP3000-L Archives

January 1999, Week 4

From:
Tom Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 19:38:22 -0500
At 19:52 1/27/99 -0500, Richard Gambrell wrote:
<snip>
>For example, if a company can claim 50% market share, then the conclusion is
>that is "must" be a good choice, right?  If you constantly see and hear about
>SAP, and they can tell you they have XYZ new customers last year and 25% more
>this year are signing up and XX% of the Fortune 1000 has signed up, etc.,
>then is "must" be a good solution, right?   If our competitors have signed
>up, then to stay competitive we "must" sign up, too, right?
</snip>

But this begs the question of how Oracle, etc. got to 50% (or whatever)
market share to begin share.  They did not start there right out of the
box, they started with a few customers and grew.  So, they must have had
some kind of story to sell to the early adopters besides huge market share.

They must have done, and be doing, *something* right, but you would never
know it by this thread.