HP3000-L Archives

January 1999, Week 4

From:
Nick Demos <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nick Demos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 23:20:47 -0500
Fontaine, Charles wrote:

> Wow! I had no idea (not surprising given HP's marketing expertise ...).  I'm
> a little disappointed they didn't use IMAGE in the name. HP-Eloquence just
> has too many syllables, more importantly how does it compare to Oracle,
> Sybase, etc.?  What applications are using it?  Hmmm, wouldn't it be
> interesting if the Open Skies application was written to use HP-Eloquence
> and actually marketed?  Quick somebody pinch me!
>
> Chas "one syllable" Fontaine

There's more to the story than that.  For a long time HP did NOT
want
Image on HP-UX and took several steps to prevent it.  A European
outfit
had Image on HP-UX working (it is not that difficult a task), but
somehow
HP intervened to prevent its sale.  Also, of course, Image itself
is only
beginning.  What about Query, recovery, maintenance tools, etc.?
If you want
to see a port of Image (this one for the PC, but written in C, so
a port to
Unix, should be minor), I will send you one at no cost, but under
confidentiality agreement.

Nick D.  [log in to unmask]

P. S. Included is a program to convert a data base from the 3000.

NMD