HP3000-L Archives

January 1999, Week 4

From:
"F. Alfredo Rego" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
F. Alfredo Rego
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 13:38:01 -0700
Jim Trudeau <[log in to unmask]> wrote under subject "ABC's":

>Somewhere today/tommorrow I will be sending off some stuff to Alfredo for
>the ABC campain.

I look forward to that!

>A piece of it will be this which I found floating about in my mail this
>morning.

>It is from a list member whom wishes anonimity so I post it without
>creditation nor comment.

Thanks to Jim and his anonymous friend for sharing these valid concerns.

I would like to focus on the first part of the first concern and,
hopefully, our anonymous friend will be able to ask a few more innocent
questions from his peers and his managers.  Joe Geiser <[log in to unmask]>
already posted valuable comments about our friend's valid concerns, for
which we must continue to find answers (and/or innocent questions).

>Our shop is seriously considering off loading our Image Database to an
>Oracle System on an NT or Unix server.  In fact, it's a sure thing.
>
>Problems I've run into justifying the HP3000 are:
>
>1).  You never hear anything about the HP3000...

This immediately generated a great idea for a new marketing campaign by HP:

     ***   No news is good news (if the common News is BAD News)   ***

     Most of the things that you hear about non-HP3000 platforms
     are things that nobody should be proud of.

     Most of the things that you hear about the HP3000 are things that
     would bore the MTV-raised generation to tears.

For specific examples, see a document that has "boring" all over its name:

http://www.adager.com/AdsPDF/Boring.pdf (Adobe PDF format)

http://www.adager.com/AdsHTML/Boring.html (HTML format)

Sidebar: Executive decisions by "peer pressure" (variations on a Geiser theme)

Nowadays, mass-media communications (such as TV, newspapers, and magazines)
have a tremendous influence when it comes to trends (what's cool, what's
desirable, what's newsworthy, what's boring, and so on).

Unfortunately, many vital decisions in business and industry are made based
on hot trends more than on cold facts.  Nowhere is this more obvious (or
damaging) than in the area of business-critical computer systems and their
database management systems.

Some companies are "led" by (mostly clueless) bosses who "know" what the
web is, or what a computer is, or what a database is.  Unfortunately, these
executives have no idea regarding how to use these technologies wisely to
help their companies be more competitive.  In fact, they become slaves to
the technology and pay a very high (and unnecessary) price in terms of
money, performance, reliability, and ease of use.

It would be interesting (and useful to management) to ask a few "innocent"
questions, just as the young child did in "The Emperor's New Clothes".

-------------

It is the job of HP's Marketing Department to ask these innocent questions.
Fortunately, we are here to help :-)

 _______________
|            r  |  Alfredo                     mailto:[log in to unmask]
|          e    |                                  http://www.adager.com
|        g      |  F. Alfredo Rego                       +1 208 726-9100
|      a        |  Manager, R & D Labs               Fax +1 208 726-2822
|    d          |  Adager Corporation
|  A            |  Sun Valley, Idaho 83353-3000                   U.S.A.