HP3000-L Archives

January 1999, Week 3

From:
Arthur Frank <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Arthur Frank <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 07:27:02 -0800
Jan,

As I understand it, DOIONOW is a command (or udc?) that takes any changes made via SYSGEN, and implements them on your live system using IOCONFIG.  In other words, to make changes active immediately, either use IOCONFIG or the SYSGEN-DOIONOW combination.

Quoting from the HP CD-ROM:
 Changing the configuration online

A new command file, DOIONOW, has been added to MPE/iX which allows the
system manager to immediately implement device configuration changes made
with SYSGEN. This command allows you to keep the system online and
available to users more of the time, and gives you the flexibility to
change the configuration on an "as needed" basis.

To change the configuration while the system is online, do the following:

   1.  Make the necessary changes to the configuration with the I/O
       Configurator.  (This process is no different than it was before;
       for more information, read the previous section of this chapter
       "Using SYSGEN's I/O Configurator".

   2.  Keep the configuration changes and exit SYSGEN. The information is
       saved in the file LOG4ONLN.PUB.SYS, which is used by the DOIONOW
       command.

   3.  At the CI prompt, execute the DOIONOW command by entering:

            :DOIONOW

   4.  DOIONOW passes the LOG4ONLN file, which contains the new
       configuration information, to IOCONFIG, which begins making the
       changes.  If LOG4ONLN is not found, you will see the following
       error message displayed on the console:

            NO PENDING SYSGEN CONFIG CHANGES

The DOIONOW command creates a log file, ONLNOLOG.PUB.SYS, which is used
to record the commands executed by IOCONFIG. If the DOIONOW command
generates an error, you may view this same log file to determine the
cause.  This log file is purged and a new one is created prior to
invoking the new configuration, which means that it only contains
information for the last execution of IOCONFIG. Once you have found the
problem, you can then edit the input file for the DOIONOW command,
LOG4ONLN.PUB.SYS, to avoid duplicating the events that created the error.

My only guess is that using "md" to modify the device doesn't create a LOG4ONLN file.  I know, I could use IOCONFIG to delete the device and the add it back with the new mode, but...  that kind of maneuver makes me a little squeamish (despite having backups on tape & hardcopy!)

Art Frank
Manager of Information Systems
OHS Foundation
(503) 220-8320

>>> Jan Gerrit Kootstra <[log in to unmask]> 01/14/99 09:42pm >>>
Arthur,

DOIONOW as far as I have experienced did not work in combination with SYSGEN
at all.

Only as a subroutine of IOCONFIG, and as mentioned by Lee Gunter IOCONFIG
can not do a md for you.

Greetings,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra
Roccade Civility BV

I give my own opinoins, not neccarely that of the company.
Lee Gunter heeft geschreven in bericht ...