HP3000-L Archives

January 1999, Week 3

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 14:39:48 EST
Doug Werth writes:

> Don't get me wrong, I like many of the things that Posix brings to the
>  table. I suppose it's just a natural reaction to change. You need time to
>  adjust and appreciate new things. It is my sincere hope that it does not
>  come at the cost of reliability.

It may be the similarity in our names that drives my comments, but I feel very
much the same.

Actually, if I had my way, I would back Posix completely out of MPE, eliminate
the hierarchical file system, and run HP-UX as a subdomain of MPE. Doing that
would completely eliminate all of the substantial porting effort that is
required now (if a program runs on HP-UX, it would run on MPE without any
further modification). More importantly, the unreliabilities and ambiquities
of Posix/UNIX could be better isolated (UNIX could be allowed to crash without
directly impacting MPE and the UNIX-like Posix commands could be isolated to
UNIX, without confusion or compromise).

All I want out of MPE is simplicity, reliability, ease-of-use, robustness,
speed, efficiency, and power. UNIX, I can take or leave.

Wirt Atmar