HP3000-L Archives

January 1999, Week 3

From:
Doug Werth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doug Werth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 13:54:08 -0500
I find this thread fascinating. Historically MPE has been an operating
system that won't let you shoot yourself in the foot. For instance, one
reason for its stability is that it takes data corruption seriously,
aborting the entire system instead of a single process if data integrity is
at risk. Also, you can't purge a file if it is open for access. MPE won't
let you kill a single process within a process tree, even if you have SM
capability.

Enter Posix. Now you can create files in different accounts, purge files
that are currently open by other users. Create filenames more than 8
characters in length. (Damn, still can't kill a single process!)

But there are certain things that make me nervous, and purging files that
are in use is one of them. If it safe, why doesn't the MPE version of PURGE
and RENAME work the same way? Does this mean that MPE commands are still
using existing file system code (read safe) and Posix programs like mv and
rm are hacking the file system themselves? This would concern me.

I still remember the chill that rolled up and down my spine the first time I
copied a file into an account other than my logon account. Even though I
knew that functionality was now available, after years of not having the
ability to do so, I was sure I had just corrupted the file system. Now I use
it all the time.

Don't get me wrong, I like many of the things that Posix brings to the
table. I suppose it's just a natural reaction to change. You need time to
adjust and appreciate new things. It is my sincere hope that it does not
come at the cost of reliability.

Doug.

Doug Werth                                     Beechglen Development Inc.
[log in to unmask]                                       Cincinnati, Ohio

The opinions expressed do not necessarily represent the views or opinions
of Beechglen Development. They might, but not necessarily. They represent
solely the opinions of the author.