HP3000-L Archives

January 1999, Week 3

From:
Jay Willis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jay Willis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 09:46:56 -0800
Larry Boyd wrote:

> I believe the console messages logged to the syslog files (assuming you are
> logging these) will have the information.  If you want a possible simple
> method, how about a script that streamx's the file, writes SHOWTIME to a
> file, then write that information and the file name that was streamed into
> your log file.  There may be a method to write both the file name and
> SHOWTIME into the log file without the middle step.
>
> Haven't tried this, but it seems like it should be possible.
>
> lb
> Jay Willis wrote:
> > Let's say I submit a job and it has to wait in line. If I do a showjob,
> > it shows the time that my job was introduced. When my job finally logs
> > on, that time (HPINTROTIME) changes to the time that it actually logs
> > on. What I need to capture is that first time, the time that it was
> > submitted, so that I can keep track of the time lag between
> > submit/log-on.
> >
> > We are running under version 5.5 on a 947, and have MPEX and Streamx.

Larry, thanks for the assistance!

I think I've come up with a satisfactory solution. We're using Vesoft's
Streamx, as I said, and, in the job, before the !JOB card, I have inserted
these lines:

 ::FILE USEJOBFL=JOBLOGT.TESTEVA,OLD;ACC=APPEND
 ::ECHO The following job was submitted at !HPTIMEF >> *USEJOBFL

Then, before !EOJ, I inserted:

!ECHO !HPJOBNAME  Job#: !HPJOBNUM                > *USEJOBFL
!ECHO    Job logged-on at  !HPINTROTIME              >> *USEJOBFL
!ECHO    Job logged-off at !HPTIMEF                        >> *USEJOBFL
!ECHO    Streamed by: !HPSTREAMEDBY                >> *USEJOBFL

The file JOBLOGT contains these lines:

The following job was submitted at  9:15 AM
JHRRTEST  Job#: 355
        Date: FRI, JAN 15, 1999
        Job logged-on at      9:16 AM
        Job logged-off at      9:17 AM
        Streamed by: JAY,MGR.HRIS (#S444)

This is just what I wanted, a log of who submitted a job, when it was
submitted, and when it logged on and off. The file is CIRcular with sufficient
size to accomodate entries for a period of about five days.

Thanks, again, for your response and suggestion!
Jay