HP3000-L Archives

January 1999, Week 3

From:
Art H Bahrs <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Art H Bahrs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 09:53:37 -0800
Hi All :)
    I second Larry's idea for "camo'ing" a laptop while traveling... In a
previous life I used a laptop and carried it back and forth to the office
and travelled occasionally with it... and no one was the wiser unless....
they saw me take it out and use it!  Why you ask?  'cause my laptop was
carried in my rucksack with foam padding around it.... and a hard plastic
case around the foam...  'Course the fact that when I travel most people
mistake me for a college age kid who can just barely afford the ticket
doesn't hurt either hehehe :)  For those who haven't met me.... yep... I do
look young :)  It worked well... more than once I saw people (read
suspected thieves) casing people who were carrying laptop in cases...and
yep... seen the cut-in-line method used once or twice at security check
points... :(  the last time being at Intercontinental Airport in Houston
where a lady's purse/handbag walked away from the security checkpoint while
she was stuck getting thru the detecter :(

    Remember: just because you haven't been a victim yet... doesn't mean
you haven't been targeted!   It isn't a question anymore of being
paranoid... it is the question of "Are you paranoid enough?"

Art "Always careful, and lucky so far :) " Bahrs

<<< snip >>>

One thing I do now is carry my laptop in a brief case.  I happen to have a
Port carrier with good protection for normal bouncing around, but if you
don't have one you can purchase the soft foam typical in a laptop carrier
and custom fit the laptop into the brief case.  Naturally, this doesn't
mean
the brief case won't be stolen, but at least it doesn't appear to be an
expensive laptop being carried around.

lb