HP3000-L Archives

January 1999, Week 3

From:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Gambrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 21:42:05 -0500
Mike Hornsby wrote:
> I have also posted to this list information regarding proxy servers that
> perform port mapping and gateway functions for telnet and ftp. It is
> important to note that these functions can WORK FOR BOTH OUTBOUND AND
> INBOUND connections! Most of these packages have security that allows you to
> restrict these connections with sub net allows and disallows.  But the user
> must be smart enough to implement these restrictions.

That is why firewalls should take a "don't allow anything" default approach.
Unfortunately this means someone really competent is needed to install and
configure it, but hardest of all for some of us, is deciding what to allow
and the risks of allowing it.  Ignorance is definitely not bless.

> Mike Hornsby

Richard Gambrell
Database Administrator and Consultant to Computing Services
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, Dept. 4454
113 Hunter Hall, 615 McCallie Ave. Chattanooga, TN 37403-2598
UTC e-mail: [log in to unmask]   phone: 423-755-4551
Home e-mail: [log in to unmask]