HP3000-L Archives

January 1999, Week 3

From:
Chris Bartram <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 20:23:14 -0500
 In <003601be44d9$b8318e40$1c6532d1@default> [log in to unmask] writes:

One note from days gone by;

Waaaay back when (early 90s I believe) when I was doing alot of beta work
with WRQ and their dialup tcp/ip (slip/ppp) I was interested in using R1/RNS
as a poor-man's router to the 'net. (I was using Chameleon running on a PC
to do just that already -- it dialed up my ISP and once linked, let the rest
of my network talk with the 'net).

Anyway, Chameleon wasn't very robust (and 'dropped' any packets about 1023
bytes rather than disassembling/reassembling them)... So, with much coaxing
on my part, the WRQ engineer (I forget his name, but think he's since left
WRQ) added some code to RNS to allow it to 'route' packets from the local
network over the PPP/SLIP link. (Apparently it wasn't that tough to do since
most of what they needed was in the code already, and it worked well. In fact,
we used this as our 'net link til we broke down in ~93 and bought a dedicated
router - a Telebit NetBlazer - which we still have but use for dialin to our
net along with our Linux boxes).

The moral of all this is, though I haven't tried it lately, RNS did in fact
have the ability to route packets through the dialed-up PC between the local
lan and the WAN/Internet.

     -Chris (remove nospam) Bartram